A big and shiny, mighty fine-y, glitter, glitz, and line-y…
bob your head and shake your hiney MUSICAL!
Directed by Lisa Teichner
Welcome to the Renaissance and the outrageous, crowd-pleasing musical farce, Something Rotten. Lauded by audience members and critics alike, receiving several Best Musical nominations and hailed by Time Out New York as “the funniest musical comedy in at least 400 years”.
Set in the 90’s… the 1590s! Brothers Nick and Nigel Bottom are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of that Renaissance rock star known as “The Bard.” When a local soothsayer foretells that the future of theatre involves singing, dancing and acting at the same time, Nick and Nigel set out to write the world’s very first musical. But amidst the scandalous excitement of opening night, the Bottom Brothers realize that reaching the top means being true to thine own self… and all that jazz.
Something Rotten features large song and dance numbers, and a wacky cast of over-the-top characters, each given his or her own special moment in the show to shine. Throughout its Broadway run, the musical received a show-stopping standing ovation from audiences… in the beginning of the first act! It’s become clear that “nothing’s as amazing as a musical,” so don’t miss your chance to bring this history-twisting tale to your stage.
“This is a big, brash meta-musical studiously fashioned in the mold of Monty Python’s Spamalot, The Producers and The Book of Mormon, loaded with crowd-pleasing showstoppers, deliciously puerile gags and an infectious love of the form it so playfully skewers.” The Hollywood Reporter
“You could describe “Something Rotten!” as “Shakespeare in Love” meets “Spamalot”…With all its showmanship and silliness.” amNY
“Chock full of show tune references, theatrical puns and Shakespeare quotes, the show is a field day for drama nerds.” Star-Ledger
“”Something Rotten!”…is fresh and hysterical and irreverent. It’s easily the funniest thing to arrive on Broadway since “The Book of Mormon”…the song “A Musical,” in which the writers get to goof on such shows as “Rent,” ‘Pippin,” ‘Les Miserables,” ‘On the Town,” ‘Annie” and the Rockettes.” Associated Press
MOSTLY FAMILY FRIENDLY: Some adult language/kissing/innuendo.
Health and Safety Protocols:
- We request that you please stay home if you are not feeling well.
- We will NOT be asking for photo ID, proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test result.
- There is no social distancing for this event. Please be mindful of this while choosing your seats.
- Please be mindful of others and give everyone space as you enter/exit and move about the theater.
- We HIGHLY RECOMMEND and support the wearing of face masks while in the theater.
- Something Rotten runs 2.5 hours and there will be a 15 min Intermission.
- The Historic Iao Theater has central air conditioning which is set to 74 degrees. The zone above the stage is kept a little cooler for performer safety which may affect the first few rows of the audience. A light jacket or sweater is recommended.